Tuesday 20 January 2015

It Was Staring me in the Eyes – that ‘Special Relationship’

20 January 2015

As anyone who has read any of the previous articles in this blog will know, change is on my mind. Having had a lot of time over the holidays to think, opportunities and ideas became clearer. Sometimes you just have to take time to get away from it all including the laptops, iPads and mobiles and even people. Once you get that space you get clarity that you couldn’t find before. It’s a bit like distinguishing those trees in the woods.

So a year of change is it. And over the last week, while I’ve still had a bit of space, I’ve come to realise a few more things. One thing that dawned on me, which was staring me in the face, is that I haven’t made enough of the fact that I am an American who has lived in London for over 27 years. I very much understand what the British want and what it takes to make it here. So why aren’t I promoting that to North American businesses who want to get into the market here?

What I have found very interesting is that looking at the stats of this blog, the majority of readers are coming from the US (double the UK).  I’ve been distributing the blogs through various Social Media channels including Google +, LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter (with Twitter & LinkedIn bringing in the most views). So dissecting that further, seems I have either more connections and followers from the US or more from the US have a propensity to be interested in what I am writing about. In any case, there seems to be more of an appeal from across the pond.

Next step is to fine-tune the message and then figure out how to get it across. The message is simple ‘Americans - let me be your go-to person on the ground here in the UK if you want business from & in the UK’. That isn’t very eloquent but it is the gist of the opportunity. How I tell them will mean first tweaking my Social Media profiles starting with LinkedIn and then getting a new website spelling out just what I can do. So giving myself more work to do but it will be worth it in the end.

My goodness – give yourself a little headspace and the ideas and opportunities just flow. Try it. You never know what you may come up with!






No comments:

Post a Comment